Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Pain in left side, mid stomach to mid back. Started about

Customer Question
Pain in left side, mid...
Pain in left side, mid stomach to mid back. Started about 5:30 pm today. Vomited some few minutes ago. 70 yrs old, good health as far as I know.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/3/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

this left sided mid abdominal pain to mid back could be from gastritis inflammation of your stomach, constipation, enteritis, food poisoning, viral infection, kidney stone, diverticulosis.

are you having any fever?

you really should see a doctor at the ER for evaluation of your left abdominal pain and get some tests, urine test to check for blood, CT scan to check for kidney stone, constipation, diverticulosis, blood test to check for elevation of your WBC count.

they can do all of this at the ER

you don't want the pain to get worse.

do you have an ER or urgent care center or hospital close to you where you can see a doctor about this pain?

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Left sided stomach pain with vomiting is likely due to the viral infection commonly.

Stomach flu is very common.

Usually improves by 2-3 days.

You can try over the counter peptobismol liquid 30 ml 3 times daily.

And follow a bland diet and drink fluids.

If the symptoms do not improve in next 2 days, then this can be serious like pancreatitis.

Otherwise, usually this improves within 2-3 days.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

This is Dr. David

I was the first expert to help you.

your left sided abdominal pain which radiates to your back could be kidney stones.

kidney stones can cause intense pain and vomiting as well.

and would cause microscopic blood in your urine.

best to see a doctor at the ER and get your urine checked for blood and a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis to be sure.

I would not just assume this is from a stomach flu or viral infection.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician