Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Will niacin help with balance problem in 84 year old

Customer Question
will niacin help with balance problem in 84 year old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am sorry for your balance problems and pneumonia infection.

most likely it will take more than niacin.

you need your ears checked for fluid which can cause balance problems.

if you have weight loss, you could have muscle wasting or loss of muscles which can cause weakness and balance problems.

I am glad you are doing stretching exercises and short walks.

you should talk to your doctor about increasing the protein in your diet if your kidneys are working ok and exercising to help build more muscle and strength

your doctor should check your ears for fluid as well

you can also see a physical therapy center for exercises which can improve your balance.

your doctor can also do blood tests to check your B vitamin levels and magnesium levels. if they are low, you might benefit from supplements.

let me know if you have questions.

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Balance problem is likely due to the lack co ordination between your leg muscles and the brain sginals.

Hence, neuropathy or nerve damage is likely.

This can be caused by the recent infection, diabetes, thyroid disorder, vitamin B12 deficiency, stroke also.

Niacin may help with balance problem if deficiency related.

Other natural supplements that may help with nerve problem are Alpha lipoic acid 400 to 800 mg daily, vitamin B12 1000 mcg daily, vitamin B6 50 mg daily.

You should also consider seeing a physiatrist or physical and rehabilitation medicine specialist for proper physical therapy guidance.

Physical therapy should focus on improving brain and leg coordination, strengthening of core and leg muscles and balance training.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist