Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Started using my car airconditioner late spring. Had to fill

Customer Question
freon 4 times this summer...
started using my car airconditioner late spring. Had to fill freon 4 times this summer and after machanic searched tubes finally said the leak is inside the dash board. Due to this years intense heat I directed air ducts to focus on me directly. I have had oily skin my whole life now from throut to forehead hair line i'm red like a slight sunburn and dry and daily scaling. have not used the airC. for a week however the condition persist any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/27/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture that is a close-up of the affected skin?

I have a few photos on cell phone I can forward them in an email ... is there a specific email I should send to that you can recover it?

We are not supposed to communicate personal email addresses on the site to be able to maintain privacy. It will happen more quickly if you can attach the picture, although that would typically require that you be on a computer. If you can only send it to an email, then you can send it to the justanswer email at***@******.*** and they will forward it to me. It is impossible to predict when the email will be checked and forwarded, which is why it is usually quicker to attach the picture, but I will respond once the picture has been forwarded.

I understand ...I will attach from my file however I'm not too good with technology so I will have my son help me later. thanks tony

That is fine. Whenever you can. If I have to step away from my computer, I will respond once I am back on the computer.

thanks

You are welcome.

I have no one that knows how to show me how to get photo's to your attach button. Any suggestions based on my discription of skin problem. It seems to get less red each morning unfortunately gets a little red by evening. The dryness and tightness is still there after I shower even though I don't use soap on face. The more I read about freon and its affect on skin exposure the more it seems like that is the culprit. If so is there something you would recommend topical that might help. tony

The most common type of reaction to freon is an irritant contact dermatitis. It is possible that it also could be a more typical type of allergy, but a contact dermatitis is more common.

If it is a more typical allergy, then trying an oral antihistamine may be helpful, and any of the over the counter antihistamines would be fine. It also may help to use an H2 blocker, such as ranitidine. Actually, an H2 blocker is another type of antihistamine. The traditional antihistamine blocks the H1 receptor and were on the market for many years before the first H2 blocker was discovered, so it was thought that it would be confusing if the new drug class were also called antihistamines.

If it is a contact dermatitis that has not responded to a topical steroid, such as betamethasone valerate, the usual next step would be the use of systemic steroids, most often as oral prednisone, but a more severe case may be treated with an IM injection. However, either of these options would require seeing your doctor, since neither are available over the counter.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Thank you Dr. Love I will try to get the first things on your list and I will be at my doctors office and mention your suggestion. She might like the info because at this point she has no answer. Thanks again... I will let you know the progress and let your readers know how effective the site is for others.
Tony F

You are very welcome.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor