Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am an female that was diagnosed with Otitis Externa,left

Customer Question
Hi I am an...
Hi I am an female that was diagnosed with Otitis Externa,left ear at an urgent care clinic, they prescribed Ofloxacin Otic Solution for seven days. I followed up with my primary care doctor on day 5 and she prescribed Augmentin 875-125 for seven days. I am on day three of that med, the problem is my ear is still blocked and feels as if there is a lot of pressure in my left ear. What should i do, it is becoming unbearable.
Thanks,
Carrie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/26/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you have otitis externa.

I bet you still have fluid in your inner ear from your infection

fluid in the inner ear can take some time to get better.

the fluid drains out through the eustachian tube down into your throat.

you can try to yawn and thrust your lower jaw forward at the same time, you can try to open up your eustachian tube in your throat to help your fluid in the inner ear drain out.

hot steam shower could help

boiling some hot water in a pot and putting your head over it with a towel to breath in steam could help.

over the counter decongestants like pseudophedrine and benadryl could help as well.

you should use tylenol or advil to help with pain as well

have you tried these methods

you should also have a follow up appointment with your doctor as well to check on your ear and ear drum to make sure everything is healing properly in 1-2 weeks.

let em know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician