Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I read that there is a strong interaction between the

Customer Question
medication spasmex and tricyclic antidepressants...
I read that there is a strong interaction between the medication spasmex and tricyclic antidepressants. I was prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant to relief symptoms of depression and stopped the medication Spasmex. Did I do the right decision? My psychiatrist is not available now for questioning and I don't know if I did the right decision. I need the antidepressant.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

yes, there can be interactions between Spasmex (or trospium) and tricyclics.

the combination can increase risks for hyperpyrexia and can increase anticholinergic adverse effects.

you made the right decision.

take the antidepressant

and talk to your doctor at your next appointment about this possible interaction.

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician