How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64645
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 41 yr old female with Lupus among other auto immune

Customer Question

HI, I am a 41 yr old female with Lupus among other auto immune related conditions. A couple of weeks ago I went to the ER because I was having weakness, fatigued and left shoulder pain. The only test that came back abnormal was my CPK levels at 1056. The Doctor sent me home and told me to follow up with my primary. I retested a week later and the levels where a little higher at 1074. My Doctor's (primary and rheumy) seemed to be stumped and don't have any answers for me. I'm worried. What can this mean and what type of Doctor should I follow up with as I have many.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

As you have Lupus and increase in muscle enzyme levels indicates there may be the autoimmune disease also involving muscle and giving picture of Myopathy .

Please take it serious , get your serum Aldolase test which is specific for muscle and if it turns to be raised then muscle biopsy is indicated to decide for treatment .

Please consult Rheumatologist .

Good luck .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for requesting me.

Lupus can exist with other conditions

Myositis for example.

You can not diagnose this, no one can, without a muscle biopsy, most likely.

Thank you for requesting me.

When you request me, use a longer request lock.

As you know, I am a double board certified US doctor.

I will give you accurate, safe and comprehensive answers.

An EMG/nerve conduction study might have some usefullness as well.

Ask your current doctor, not another one, about the biopsy.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.