Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I accidently took a second Xarelto this evening. No ill

Customer Question

I accidently took a second Xarelto this evening. No ill effects.
Forgot that I had taken it earlier.
I took my other evening pills with it (i.e. baby aspirin,
rantidine, amlodipine, colcyrs, simivastatin)about three hours ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Since when are you taking xarelto and the dosage? Did you have any investigations done recently? I am asking these questions since overdosage increases risk of bleeding.

Dear customer,

In the usual dosage the risk of bleeding is low, and a second tablet taken accidentally should not cause any harm usually. However this depends on the individual and also on other medications that he/she is taking such as aspirin in your case which will interact with xarelto and increase the risk of bleeding. But in the normal circumstances taking the second xarelto in the standard dose should not increase the amount of risk and the risk of bleeding is still low and not sufficient to cause concern.

Therefore if you do have any symptoms such as bleeding gums, red to black, tarry stools, or red to dark brown urine, or vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds, then you need to consult your doctor or go to the emergency.

Take care.