Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can alcohol make my IBS worse?

Customer Question

can alcohol make my IBS worse ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, alcohol can make IBS worse, either acutely or chronically. Alcohol can be a trigger for some people, so may have an acute exacerbation of IBS related to drinking alcohol. In addition, chronic alcohol use can cause problems with anxiety and this can cause the IBS to be worse chronically, and some of this chronic effect of alcohol on anxiety will persist even after the alcohol is no longer in the body.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have it once a week. it that ok? and i just had okra in my lunch. and i had to run to the loo in 15 min after having it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i passed a super lose motion in the shape of okra seeds.

Yes, it is generally OK to drink a small amount of alcohol once a week.

If you find that any food precipitates IBS symptoms, it would be reasonable to avoid that food, but this varies so much from one individual to another, you just need to find the foods to which you are sensitive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok doc. and i am getting my colonoscopy and endoscopy on next monday. to be sure whether this is some infection , or some swelling or iBS. i have been told to have a Sache of Peglec and i have been told to have with water . but i have been told i can have lunch a day before the procedure . is that ok ?

You are now asking a different question that is unrelated to the effect of alcohol on IBS. According to the rules of JustAnswer, You need to post separate questions in a new thread.