DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I've had a rotten taste on left side of my mouth, towards

Customer Question

I've had a rotten taste on left side of my mouth, towards back of throat. It's chronic....had it over 10 yrs. I used a toothbrush to poke both sides for stones. Right side is normal, left side tastes rotten. I've seen 2 ent doctors....both suggest its my tonsils. However, my tonsils seem fine. No stones were detected. No pain, etc.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Acid reflux is another possibility.

Nerve damage on that side is also a possibility.

It does not appear there is any evidence for tonsil problems.

An infection in gum or tooth could do it as well.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Acid reflux has been dealt with. What procedures are done to check for nerve damage? I've seen my dentist but everything seems ok.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Acid reflux often is still present even when treated

PH monitoring of the esophagus is needed to see if it is still there.

You would see a neurologist to see if there is nerve damage the ENT did not pick up.

OK, so that is an initial answer….