Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Leaking of aortic valve? diastolic dysfunction? aortic valve

Customer Question

Leaking of aortic valve? diastolic dysfunction? aortic valve trileaflet in configuration? trace of mitral regurgitation? mild tricuspid regurgitation? moderate pulmonic regurgitation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some clarification so that I address the information that you are seeking.

Are you saying that each of these were identified on an echocardiogram and you are asking what each of these terms mean?

Or are you asking whether any of these other terms mean that the aortic valve is leaking?

I had asked for clarification of the information that you were seeking and have not heard back.

If the echocardiogram said that there was a trace of mitral regurgitation, mild tricuspid regurgitation and moderate pulmonic regurgitiation, none of these terms would indicate that the aortic valve is leaking. If there were leakage across the aortic valve, it would have been called aortic regurgitation, although it is also sometimes called aortic insufficiency.

The aortic valve has three leaflets in most people. A minority of people will have aortic valves with two leaflets, and these people have a higher risk of developing valve problems. Valve problems, such as regurgitation or stenosis, can still happen in someone with a three leaflet aortic valve, but not at a lesser percentage than in people with a two leaflet aortic valve.

If there is other information that would be helpful, please let me know.