Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I live in Massachusetts, and I am looking into getting a

Customer Question
Hello, my name is***** live...
Hello, my name is***** live in Massachusetts, and I am looking into getting a medical marijuana card for panic attacks, ocd, anxiety, and lack of appetite. I'm 19 years old, and
i'm just a bit lost as to how this all works. Would you be able to help me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Over the internet, we can help to explain the process, but cannot perform the assessment or documentation to allow you to get the card.

Would an explanation of the process be helpful to you?

it would very much be appreciated!

Very good. I will be glad to assist you.

Under the Massachusetts law for medical marijuana, you must be seen and certified by a qualified and registered physician. Although any physician with an unrestricted license and actively practicing in Massachusetts can choose to register as a certifying physician, they must complete certain requirements to do so, including certain continuing medical education requirements. You can check with your primary care physician to see if he/she is registered as a certifying physician, but if not, you would need a referral to such a physician.

The assessment by this certifying physician will look to see of you have a debilitating medical condition according to the definition in the law. The law includes certain specific conditions, such as HIV infection, ALS, or MS, but also will allow the physician to certify any condition that satisfies the definition of being debilitating. The conditions that you list - panic disorder, OCD, anxiety, and lack of appetite - are not among the conditions listed, although a lack of appetite and wasting is one of the criteria for satisfying the definition of a debilitating condition. By the definition in the law, a debilitating condition is any condition that causes weakness, cachexia (such as from a significant loss of appetite), wasting syndrome, pain, nausea, or loss of strength or ability, and has progressed to a severity that it limits life activities.

If your primary care physician is registered as a certifying physician, then some of this information will already be known. But if you need to be referred to another physician, it will help if you can bring documentation of the severity of these symptoms, including the severity of the loss of appetite and any associated weight loss.

Once the doctor has completed the assessment, the certifying physician will enter the electronic certification into the online documentation system (the paper documentation that was formerly used is no longer valid as of earlier this year). Once the physician has completed the electronic certification, the physician will provide you with information on how you can register in the online system, along with a PIN that is needed to complete the registration. Once the registration process is approved by the program, then you will receive the Medical Use of Marijuana Program ID card

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor