How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18536
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a sore throat for about 5 months. GE has ruled

Customer Question

I have had a sore throat for about 5 months. GE has ruled out GERD. ENT has cleared it as a sinus problem. Getting very frustrated. Now looking to talk with an Allergist even though I have had no previous allergies. 51 years old. I am taking Osteo Bi-Flex for joint health. Is it possible that supplement is causing this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Osteo Bi-Flex can cause a sore throat, but it would typically do so by causing heartburn/reflux symptoms, which is one of the more common side effects. Generally speaking, this supplement is very well tolerated, but when side effects occur, heartburn/reflux is one of the common side effects. But if the possibility of reflux has been excluded, that would also exclude reflux that would be due to the supplement.

It is also possible, although much less common, that someone could be allergic to the supplement, and the allergu could cause the sore throat, but any type of allergy to this supplement is quite rare. Allergies are one of the common causes of a chronic sore throat, and your thought about seeing an Allergist is reasonable, but it is rare that the allergy would be to this supplement. If the sore throat is due to allergies, it would typically be due to an environmental allergy.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.