DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I RECENTLY STOPPED RADIATION ETHMOID SINUS DOSAGE PTV60 6000

Customer Question

i RECENTLY STOPPED RADIATION ETHMOID SINUS DOSAGE PTV60 6000 cGy The treatments were twice a day for 17 days (5 days a week) I stopped treatments two days ago. For about 10 days now I have no taste for the foods I have always enjoyed, mouth is very dry and have lost 25 pounds. The Diagnosis was Primary 160.3 Malignant neoplasm of ethmoidal sinus. This was removed by surgury. We were told that they would be doing the radiation to catch any small microscopic cells that might have been missed in surgery. My question is what are the chances my taste will return and what things I might do at this time to give me a better chance?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

You have to ask the radiation oncologist this to get an accurate answer because it depends on what exactly the radiation focus was, how long, total dose and time, focus of the beam, etc....

However, if the nerves to smell were damaged, there is only about a 50/50 chance that smell will come back.

And, that will take up to a year.

It is smell that is affecting the taste.....that is in most cases.

If it were only the nerves to taste...about the same risks and time line.

My over all take on this is that the rad/onc doc would have tailored the timing the dose as to not have permanently affected smell and hence taste. If this happened rather after surgery, that would be a different issue, with more damage likely.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Did you have a further question