Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Take 100 mg or synthroid. Tests said normal. I'm cold,

Customer Question

Take 100 mg or synthroid. Tests said normal. I'm cold, losing hair, extremely tired,even if test scores are normal, couldn't I still need a little more to lose all these other side effects.?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is some evidence that some people on thyroid replacement do better achieving a TSH that is low in the normal range - a level of about 0.5-1.0. This evidence is not yet considered conclusive, but there is some evidence that this is true for some people. A TSH in the normal range is the usual goal of treatment and is sufficient in the majority of patients. However, in someone with persisting symptoms once a TSH in the normal range is achieved, it may be helpful to adjust the dose slightly to achieve a TSH low in the normal range. Ultimately, the proof is in improvement of symptoms, and if the symptoms improve, then the Synthroid dose that achieves this lower level would be appropriate for that person.

Since the evidence for this is not yet conclusive, certain doctors are willing to do this while others are not. However, you can discuss this with your doctor.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know whether any further information would be helpful.