How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5090
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from what I think is LPR, and I'm having a major

Customer Question

I suffer from what I think is LPR, and I'm having a major flare up. Burning in throat, chest, aching pain, cough, slight wheezing that is clear with cough, belching etc. It is awful. It's acute on chronic, I have burning in my mouth as well. I've tried everything: PPI's, Gaviscon Advance, Non Acid Diet, elevate HOB, weight loss, Carafate, etc.
I'm going to Mexico for a week starting Saturday, wondering if anyone has any suggestions for relief? Also, lot's of mucus and globus sensation in throat.
I'm wondering if a low dose steroid inhaler, or Prednisone could be helpful for the inflammation. I am miserable. Thanks for the input! PS - I've had an EGD that showed mild gastritis and esophagitis about a year ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

With these symptoms and also since your symptoms are not completely controlled by PPI therapy, and taking the esophagitis into consideration the treatment for you would be surgical treatment. In one study it was shown that surgery maintained better symptomatic relief in the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease without evidence of long-term postsurgical adverse symptoms.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand surgery can be an option, but I'm looking for some type of relief NOW. I have tried everything except surgery. Any suggestions that could help? Or is there an ENT online?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Which PPI did you take and for how many days and the dosage.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried Protonix 40mg bid for 6 months
Also Rantinidine Bid
Dexilant also, but stopped d/t negative side effects
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

In that case for short term use you may try bismuth-containing compounds such as bismuth subsalicylate (BSS, Pepto-Bismol). This medication is a cytoprotective agent and will provide relief and induce ulcer healing.

Another medication which your doctor may consider is cytotec which will help the stomach protect itself against acid damage, and will also decrease the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

Take care.