Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son seems to be having a lot of anxiety, cannot sleep, is

Customer Question
having fear of social interactions...
My son seems to be having a lot of anxiety, cannot sleep, is having fear of social interactions and panic attacks. I would like to see about getting him on an anti anxiety medication. We have tried soma, Zoloft, Vicodin and they have not produced any kind of desired effect.I have heard they can do low dosage trial (6-8) weeks of Xanax. Is this possible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/15/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

What type of doctor is in charge with this.

Soma and vicodin are not appropraite drugs

Zoloft needs a trial of 6 weeks,and monitored dose increases.

Xanax is not indicated other than for short term use.

About 6 weeks while a drug like zoloft kicks in.

If zoloft does not work there are a dozen other choices of this type of drug.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Let me know if you have further questions.

The Zoloft did not work. It made him more depressed They have tried several anti depressant drugs, none of which have worked. This is why we wanted the trial of Xanax.

It is not a long term treatment and he should not stay on xanax.

And it will typically make depression worse.

They can try a newer drug called an SNRI

Or an atypical anxiolytic.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Did you have further questions.

Are you having problems with the rating system?

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician