How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4278
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get dizzy when I turn my head too quick or just turn

Customer Question

I get dizzy when I turn my head too quick or just turn around. I am assuming it is related to a car accident I had three years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

There are many causes for vertigo. One of the most common cause is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) which may cause brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness which is usually triggered by specific changes in the position of your head.

Another cause is Meniere's disease which is a disorder of the inner ear that can cause spontaneous episodes of vertigo that is a sensation of a spinning motion, along with fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ear (tinnitus), and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear.

Your ENT doctor may do various investigations to diagnose the cause for your dizziness.

Your present symptom is less likely to be due to post concussive syndrome. However your doctor may investigate further with imaging tests if he/she suspects this to be the cause.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previously I have had hearing issues in my left ear. I was told it was due to allergies for over 17 years, only to find out later that I would stop breathing in the middle of the night. This had been ongoing for several years before my car accident. The ENT specialist told me after being the only person to ever stick a camera up my nose that my lymph nodes had been pushing up against the flap on the back of my throat, collapsed my ear canal and my lymph nodes needed to be removed as well as my tonsils which were extremely huge! I ended up have complications and had to be hospitalized over night. I was told to give it a year and a half to get my full hearing back, but I never did. This was back in 2009. This is now going on for 23 years. I do get high pitched ringing as well as muffled hearing in the left ear so I don't always hear people who are on my left side or I think I hear something coming from one direction and it is actually coming from another direction. It sound like my ears are plugged due to a pressure change like in a plane going to a higher elevation. I went to see another ENT specialist and he gave me water pills in case I have excess fluids and suggested a possible hearing aid. I keep spending money hoping to find someone who can fix this issue, instead they make me come in every month to see if I have a change in my hearing in my left ear and it's still the same. I am so frustrated and needed to find out what else I can do. Please help! I need a solution not monitoring. I was told my equilibrium would be off after the car accident for a year or so but its still off and I get dizzy sometimes. So if this is due to an inner ear issue and not the car accident, then what should I do now? I see another ENT specialist next week.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

If your dizziness symptoms started after the accident then this is likely to be due to the complications from the trauma. In postconcussion syndrome which occurs 1 to 3 weeks after a head injury, there may be marked dizziness, headache, emotional lability, fatigue, anxiety and, possibly, vertigo. This dizziness and other symptoms are intensified by mental or physical stress. Though this syndrome may persist for years, however symptoms will eventually abate.

I would suggest that you consult a neurologist as well.


Take care.