Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I think I had mild food poisoning. I was in Mexico and ate a

Customer Question

I think I had mild food poisoning. I was in Mexico and ate a salad that I think had been sitting out for awhile. Later that night I got a stomachache and then about twelve hours later had diarrhea. Stomachache and then solid but loose bowel movements lasted the whole day. That was two days ago. Today I don't have a stomachache but I had a huge BM. Is this my body's way of trying to clear it out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. David

was the huge bowel movement a normal solid brown stool?

if you are having formed solid stool now, that is a good sign your bowels are recovering well from the diarrhea from the other day in Mexico

the purpose of the colon and bowels is to retract out nutrients and water out of your food you are eating.

if your stools are firm and formed and solid, it means your bowels are working properly.

no stomach ache is a good sign.

keep eating salad, just make sure it is clean and probably not salad in Mexico.

let me know if you have questions.