Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hope your well,ok my stepfather & my mum went to a

Customer Question

Hello, hope your well,ok my stepfather & my mum went to a specialist, yesterday he had a sarcoma on his ear,he told the doctor he is on warfarin & he has a few medical conditions,diabetes & generally not a well man,the doctor went ahead & cut a large part of his ear away & bandage him up & with no blood tests or anything,, sent him home with mum,within half an hour ,his ear started bleeding profusely, we rushed him to hospital, & he was bleeding it was flooding the bed & didn't stop for 5 hours,the doctors & nurses were wonderful,they saved his life blood transfusions,my dilemma is I'm aware of the law in medical negligence & the hospital can't believe that a doctor cut so much off his ear knowing he was on warfarin,at the moment my stepfather being stubborn yes & a Christian thinks it's not in the bible to sue the doctor & I may say I use the word he's read the bible lightly , I don't know what to do as my mother agrees with me
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no single correct answer here.

Some people will feel a sense of justice if they sue when a doctor or hospital provides negligent care. However, other people do not. This is not unique to medical negligence. There is a similar variance in opinion in any situation in which someone can be injured, such as automobile accidents.

As a general rule, the patient is the best person to be able to judge whether it is of value to sue in a case of negligence. If your father does not want to sue, that is a valid answer for many people.

However, it is also true that some people may change their minds over time and the full consequences of the negligence becomes apparent.

So, it would be appropriate to respect his preferences for now, but to also keep the lines of communication open, so that he feels comfortable bringing up the topic if he changes his mind in the future.