Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Well .... I had lab results showing my co2 at 31 but my

Customer Question

Hi ! .... well .... I had lab results showing my co2 at 31 but my doctor didn't mention it to me .... I was concerned
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

Could you clarify what type of test this is from? Do you mean this is from a "blood gas" (ABG) and this is a pCO2 value? (normal for that is 35 to 45 mm Hg)

Or do you mean bicarbonate from a blood panel ( normal range is 23 to 28 meq/L) ??

CO2 or bicarbonate (HCO3) are reflective of the respiratory and kidney functions ...these are key aspects of acid/ base balance ...

A value for pCO2 of 31 would be a bit low which could indicate a mild respiratory alkalosis ....breathing deeper or faster may produce that ...

If it is HCO3-- then value of 31 would be slightly high

Note the reference of "CO2" may apply to i either test because CO2 is in equilibrium with HCO3--- water may add to CO2 and dissociate a H atom...so the two values inter-relate ...

It helps to take the findings in context ...your pH would be of :-P to interpret...

So a low pCO2 may relate to somecreasin of hyperventilating or high value of HCO3 may be due to higher than usual renal retention of bicarbonate ion ...

If you can give the units of measure then that may help to clarify or if you can tell me what other tests were part of the panel run I could use that context

.I hope that you may be able to give added context and that would help. Why were the tests run? Can you tell me any other results ?

These details would be helpful. I will be happy to get back with you.Best regards ***** *****!

Anthony Bray MD

Hello!

It helps to take the findings in context ...your pH would be of help to interpret...

Anthony Bray MD