DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My husband has a pressure sore that turned into a bad

Customer Question

My husband has a pressure sore that turned into a bad infection. ended up having surgery and is currently on a wound vac. My problem is he also has no bowel control from a fall off a ladder and it keeps getting in the wound vac. He has had the wound vac since August 4th and the plastic surgeon at first told him he would do closure of the wound surgery and now yesterday he said the surgery is only for wounds that are not healing. Is it not dangerous to have the wound heal on its own if the bowel is not working and best to have the surgery?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello

It is not dangerous if the wound can be kept clean.

If the wound is healing fine...which is what you indicated.

If it is continually contaminated, this is going to need to be addressed...even if he needs to be in patient for a while.

I would recommend seeing assistance with this aspect, even home assistance.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.