Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a pain in my right side of my back above my hip. When

Customer Question
I have a pain in...
I have a pain in my right side of my back above my hip. When I lay down I either have to curl up like fetal position. Or if I lay on my stomach I have to twist my hips by bending my knee and raising it up. To keep from hurting. It's been this way for several years. Is it my back or could it be my kidney?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/6/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

The pain is severe to make you curl up.

The location of the pain can be due to kidneys or back problem.

Kidney stones are common cause of this type of pain.

Hence a kidney ultrasound is recommended.

Otherwise, this is likely problem with the spine.

Since the the pain is relieved by the bending your knee and raising up, that suggests release of pressure on the comprssed nerve at the lower spine.

Herniated disc and spinal stenosis both can cause this.

In that case a MRI scan of the spine will be diagnostic.

Physical therapy, epidural steroid injection and nerve block injection are commonly employed to effectively treat the problem.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5thstar).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist