How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29032
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain in my right side of my back above my p. When I

Customer Question

I have a pain in my right side of my back above my hip. When I lay down I either have to curl up like fetal position. Or if I lay on my stomach I have to twist my hips by bending my knee and raising it up. To keep from hurting. It's been this way for several years. Is it my back or could it be my kidney?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The pain is severe to make you curl up.

The location of the pain can be due to kidneys or back problem.

Kidney stones are common cause of this type of pain.

Hence a kidney ultrasound is recommended.

Otherwise, this is likely problem with the spine.

Since the the pain is relieved by the bending your knee and raising up, that suggests release of pressure on the comprssed nerve at the lower spine.

Herniated disc and spinal stenosis both can cause this.

In that case a MRI scan of the spine will be diagnostic.

Physical therapy, epidural steroid injection and nerve block injection are commonly employed to effectively treat the problem.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5thstar).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile: