How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29180
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a similar situation as the JACUSTOMER. My main

Customer Question

I have a similar situation as the JACUSTOMER. My main concern is my SOB because my IVC is stenosed from the TrapEase and extensie clotting post Renal nephrectomy. The IVC filter was put in post surgery because of DVT and I could not be heparinized. Unfortunately I became Hpercoaguable and clotted my deep Lt leg veins up to my Filter. Since then have developed some large collaterals around the blockage, but still am SOB. My question to you is do you think they can stent my IVC if they can get a wire over the stenosis and maybe place a wall stent. Would this pose a problem with recoil of the TrapEase and also more strut fractures.
What are your thoughts!
By the way I know some things I managed Cath labs for over 30 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

That is indeed a very complicated situation.

Not much studies are there on this subject.

However, in most cases, the thrombosed filter can be removed percutenously.

In your case, this may be problematic though.

Yes if the guide wire can be passed over the filter, then the IVC stenting is possible.

The strut fracture risk is there but considered low.

The large collaterals often carry small emboli to the lung blood vessels resulting in chronic shortness of breath.

For this reason, newer anticoagulants like Xarelto or Eliquis can be used to prevent the embolization of the lung blood vessels and also improve your symptoms.

A reputed vascular surgeon should be consulted with.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile: