Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am in a new relationship with someone that has the HSV-2

Customer Question
I am in a new...
I am in a new relationship with someone that has the HSV-2 strain of herpes and with all the research we have done together it appears it is rare to get this strain of herpes orally. Would this be a correct assumption from the information we have read?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/5/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

yes, it is rare to get this strain of herpes orally.

the exact risks are not well known

but we do know the risks are small.

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is DR Basu,

This statement is not entirely true.

As per current knowledge, HSV type 2 oral infection and other infections like meningitis incidence is increasing of late.

Hence, this is not rare and should be taken into account during sexual practices.

Here are some scientific articles:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199911043411904#t=articleResults

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24586973

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today.

If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications,please do not hesitate to ask.

I am here to answer them.

I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do notsubstitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patientrelationship.

This is Dr. David

of the 155 persons who acquired HSV-2 infection in the study, none of them had oral manifestation of gential herpes.

I assume you are worried about oral cunnunlingus in contracting herpes HSV2 from this activity.

the research is still lacking in the risk rate.

but the transmission rate is most likely on the order of 1-4% risk of contracting herpes this way

you can read more here

http://herpesopportunity.com/downloads/herpes-opportunity-disclosure-handout.pdf

ask you can see there oral herpes type 2 virus manifestation is very very very rare.

Hi there,

That hand out is not a scientific study, and the interpretation of the study link i posted by the other expert is not correct.

Besides oral manifestations, herpes type 2 can cause infection of other organs as well like brain, bladder, kidneys etc.

These aspects are often not well known in the community.

The sudden rise in Herpes type 2 asymptomatic infection is concerning.

Hence, proper precautions should be taken.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5thstar).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist