Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had emergency surgery march 22nd for bowel perforation. I

Customer Question
Hello, I had emergency surgery...
Hello, I had emergency surgery march 22nd for bowel perforation. I woke up to a colostomy,2months later I had my reversal. During healing I had abscesses took vanco two different times. Had june 9 debridement for two other abscesses. Finally after all that I'm healing. M problem now is I'm having constipation and not having bowel moments like I had earlier on. I'm really not having bowel moments without constipation. Took citrate two days ago got it all out. Went some yesterday but today nothing. I am pretty sedentary because I'm scared to move because my anxiety has been high so they put me on a new med effexor xr and they up my klonopin 1mg twice a day. I started colace and prune juice. I'm worried beyond belief something has gone wrong.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/5/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I think I have helped you before on this question.

keep eating prunes and using stool softeners like colace and drinking plenty of water

you should follow up with your doctors and surgeons and get a colonoscopy to look in your colon to check for strictures and narrowing of your colon from scar tissue from the surgery.

laxatives are working so you don't have a blockage.

after getting all of your stool out with magnesium citrate, you will have a day or two with no bowel movements since you completely emptied your colon

you don't have to be scared to move.

you should be able to get up and walk around.

you should be seeing a psychotherapist regularly as well because of your anxiety symptoms

Can this be normal for having surgery. Do other people have this problems after having this surgery and be OK. I feel like I'm not going to be OK.

Can being sedentary and anxiety cause my problem

it is your anxiety which is making you panicked.

you need better treatment for your anxiety disorder.

it can take several weeks for your effexor to start to work for you.

you don't need to worry about not having bowel movements.

Are you there

yes, I am here.

did you get my last reply?

Anxiety can cause constipation?

if you are not drinking water and being sedentary can cause constipation.

if you are not eating enough fiber and fruits and vegetables, this can cause constipation.

In drinking lots of water I eat veggies with dinner. I only eat mango or watermelon I don't like fruit.

I hope your not getting up set with me

eating prunes daily and using colace can help.

constipation is common after surgery.

pain medications can often cause constipation.

work towards becoming less sedentary and walking more.

ask your doctors to refer you for physical therapy after surgery to help you walk and get stronger.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Sorry to have bothered you

don't worry

please leave positive feedback below

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Next time pass on my questions please. I don't want a Dr to be upset with a worried patient

I am not upset at you.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician