Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

QUESTION}I have been suffering from day and night sweats for

Customer Question
over a year now. the...
QUESTION}I have been suffering from day and night sweats for over a year now. the sweats are worse and continuous when lying down. I feel exhausted after each episode of sweating, and sometimes I feel light headed. I have underwent many tests but with no indication to my problem being resolved. I have reflux and I am prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg, I also awaiting a total hip replacement soon. I had a full hysterectomy in 1998 so nothing to do with hormones I'm told.Is there any thing you can suggest ?? as I am at a loose end
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/3/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could first provide some further information.

Can you provide more details of what tests have been done and what results are available?

I have had a full body scan which ruled out any cancers, certain blood tests ie for lupus, infections, thyroid problems, hormones, and others which did not reveal anything.

There are many different conditions that can cause excessive sweating, but the most common are various chronic infections or inflammatory conditions as well as certain cancers or metabolic conditions. There is no single scan that can rule out all cancers nor any single blood test that can rule out all infections. Without knowing the specific tests that were done, it is difficult to say what should be done next.

However, there are some conditions that it does not sound like have been yet excluded. It would be appropriate to look for chronic lung diseases, particularly those that can have an associated infections, such as bronchiectasis or tuberculosis. Lying down changes the functional dynamics of the lungs, and many people notice a worseing of symptoms when lying down. Certain heart problems also is commonly worse when lying down, although there usually would be other symptoms present beyond sweating.

It is also true that acid reflux can be worse when lying down, but this usually would not cause sweating.

It is difficult to say what additional tests could be done without knowing the specific tests that have been done. A bone marrow test may be appropriate, which can look for certain cancers and infections that are not apparent by other tests. If blood tests to measure inflammation, such as a sed rate or C-reactive protein, have not been done, this would be appropriate.

If no cause can be identified with these tests, it also would be appropriate to see specialists in the area of infections and inflammatory diseases.

I am sorry I have not been able to provide more specific information, all I know is that I have been seen by infectious diseases and was told all test done showed nothing the type of tests done I don't know but was told all necessary test were done in this field. I also was seen by Rheumatology and nothing showed up their either. I was told all necessary tests were done and nothing showed up that would indicate to my problem. I am Sorry I have not got any further information for you

You do not say that you have had the evaluation of the lungs that I discussed above.

I have had no evaluation of the lungs however, I don't seem to have any apparent problems with breathing and my oxygen saturation usually sits at 98%

There frequently would be some evaluation for tuberculosis in someone with sweating of unknown cause.

If the Infectious Disease specialist performed tests for tuberculosis, and you have already seen a Rheumatologist, then the next specialist to see would be an Oncologist.

Mmmm well, they did rule out cancer ? however, I will ask for a second opinion. Thank-you Kind Regards ***** *****

As I said above, there is no scan that excludes all cancers.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor