Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a situation and it's a little embarrassing. Today is

Customer Question
Hello... I have a situation and...
Hello...
I have a situation and it's a little embarrassing. Today is Wednesday. And this started on Sunday. When I was having intercourse with my girlfriend right before I organised I got a very very bad headache in the back of my head. On a pain scale of 1-10 it was an easy 10. This happend on Saturday , Sunday and Momday. Every time the exact same thing. So on Tuesday I decided to not do anything. Come today I just did a hill run and right when I was getting to the top I felt the headache come on so I emidiatly stopped and it lingered a little bit but did not kick in. But it almost kicked it I could feel it. With the first three episodes it lasted for like 20 minutes and then like a sore / burning feeling lasted for about 5 hours. I have never had anything like this before . I'm pretty active and in good shape. I'm 33 years old male. I have looked all over online. Mixed stuff. I have found some things that seemed to explain it. But should I go into the ER?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
9/3/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

this sounds like an orgasm headache.

these can come on when your blood pressure drops or spikes up.

running and having sex can affect your blood pressure and can cause these headaches.

you should check your blood pressure next time you run and before you get your headache

if your blood pressure is low, you might need to drink more fluids and take in more salt to keep your blood pressure up.

if you are not having symptoms now, you don't have to go to the ER now.

you should see your primary care doctor about it.

you can buy a home blood pressure cuff to use.

you can read more here

http://www.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/dr-laura-berman-sexual-headaches.aspx

do you have a doctor you can see about this?

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced InternalMedicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your headaches are coming when there is increased metabolic activities like during sex or physical exertion.

This raises the question of brain aneurysm or a tumor.

These conditions are rare but should be considered since your headaches are also not that typical.

Hence, a brain scan like MRI scan is necessary at the least.

You can go to the ER or you can pursue with your doctor whichever is more convenient.

This can very well be migraine headache as common explanation but this should not be assumed without further evaluation.

Please avoid any strenuous activities till further work up.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5thstar).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

your headaches don't sound like headaches from a brain tumor or aneurysm.

sex or orgasm headaches or Coital Cephalgia have a medical term and are not that rare and are actually more common than brain tumors and brain aneurysms.

this would be much more likely in your situation.

you can still get a brain MRI scan but I bet it will not show brain tumor or aneurysm.

changes of blood pressure are much more likely to be the cause of your Coital Cephalgia headaches.

do see your doctor right away about this

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Hi there,

Brain aneurysm and tumors cannot be ruled out just based on symptoms.

MRI scan of the brain should be considered.

You did not have this before.

Sudden onset of symptoms should be given due attention.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

This is Dr. David

sex or orgasm headaches are called Coital Cephalgia have a medical term and are not that rare and are actually more common than brain tumors and brain aneurysms.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

This is Dr. David

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician