Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Got pricked by a fin scaling fish. Went to see a Dr.a day

Customer Question
got pricked by a fin...
got pricked by a fin scaling fish. Went to see a Dr.a day after and he numbed my finger to dig for debry. It was a pretty envasing procedure. Went back two days later to have the gauze remove from under my skin and the new doctor asked me to wash my finger 3 times a day, put some bacitracin ointment and a bandage. The problem is that the invasive procedure looks still pretty raw and blodie, and the redness derived from the fish poising plus inflamation still remains in my finger.
How can you treat two conditions on my finger as explained above without affecting one another? Is there any specialist that my treat my condition and give the right advice. I don't want to lose my finger. It is my index finger on the right hand. I have not been able to use it,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/30/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

First of all , we do not replace your doctor here, and we can not examine or treat you.

However, we do answer questions.

Debridement was the correct treatment.

Your next step is consistent follow up.

If you still are concerned, go back to the doctor tomorrow.

Secondly, you are talking about infection and inflammation.

Treating the infection, or preventing it, allows the inflammation to resolve.

So, the problem here is the coverage bacitracin. it is not necessarily enough. I would ask for mupiricin in stead, which is prescription.

This is not a matter of home treatment, other than following your doctors directions explicitly and following up.

If the inflammation is excessive, a short course of oral prednisone can help with healing, while the infection is being treated.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

No. Digging for debrie was unnecessary and pretty invasive. Fins don't have teeth. In this fishermen town when one of them is pricked by a fin they all just deep their finger in hot water and take antibiotics. I should have been ok by now had not allowed that ignorant doctor to turn my finger into chopped meat. I'm very disappointed on your response. It was not shuttered glass. It was a like a pinch from a needle in the left side of my finger, and far away from my cuticle. I'm sorry I have wasted my money. Will contact some experienced doctor in a nearby town.Thanks any way. Please do your job and get better informed. Perhaops you need to visit a fishing town. I happen to be from the city but live here in the summer. DEBRIDEMENT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE

Listen, if the infection was severe, debridement is typical. I was not there, and I did not examine you.

If it was a mistake, I was not there, and I did not examine you.

I understand you are dissapointed in your doctor, but we do not treat, diagnose or replace your doctors here..that is not the purpose of the site.

We answer questions.

Your question was, I think, what do do now.

It does not appear you read my answer to that, from what I can tell.

Please do so.

Is there a QUESTION that is not answered at this point?

Let me know.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician