Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a prescription, obviously a ghly controlled

Customer Question

I have a prescription for Adderall, obviously a highly controlled substance. My psychiatrist is away in Lithuania for the next couple weeks, but I lost my pill bottle (as someone with ADHD would). The problem is, although my dr knows me and my attempts at conscientiousness and would write a new script for me with no problem, I know that I look like I'm drug-seeking to ER or urgent care doctors. What are my options? i am a college professor and I can't afford to crumble as the semester starts.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The options that may be present would depend upon the specific situation. If there is a Psychiatrist that is providing coverage for emergencies, then that would be the most likely to be successful, as the covering Psychiatrist would usually have access to your regular Psychiatrist notes. Since the receptionist did not comment upon a covering doctor, there may not have been any arrangements made for a covering Psychiatrist. If there is no covering Psychiatrist, then if you have a primary care physician that is aware of your ongoing prescription for Adderall, that doctor may be willing to provide a prescription to cover until your Psychiatrist returns.

If your Psychiatrist belongs to a group or is in a network, then you can try to get an appointment with another doctor in that group or network. The advances in computerized medical records may allow for other doctors in that group or network to have access to your medical records. However, it is frequently difficult to get an appointment quickly with a new doctor, even within the same group or network.

Otherwise, your only options would be an emergency room or urgent care center.