How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a complete thyroidectomy! Which type of doctor

Customer Question

I have had a complete thyroidectomy! Which type of doctor should I go to for medication of my condition since I am Hypothyroid ! That will follow me!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


A primary care doctor may follow you and treat for your resultant hypothyroidism. So an internal medicine doctor or family practice doctor would treat and follow you for this condition.You may see a specialist(endocrinologist) if you prefer .

With your situation you should remain on thyroid medication for all of your life. Once the best dose for you has been determined then it is not likely to change in your situation. You need ongoing replacement of the thyroid hormone since your thyroid gland has been removed.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Bay City area! The General doctors around here seem to dis miss all my questions! Is there one closer to Angelton or Lake Jackson closer to me?
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Well I am not specifically familiar with the doctors of your area. What questions do you have?

What medicine have you taken? What is your dose? When was your most recent testing(TSH value is key...) ??

I will be happy to get back with you with regard to any further questions but I am not specifically familiar with the physicians in your area...

Also do you know if your surgery spared parathyroid glands? Your calcium level is OK? PTH level? If you do not know the answers to these latter questions then it would be best to see an endocrinologist specialist I would say.

To establish with new doctor I hope that you may be able to obtain a copy of your medical record for new doctor to review...

I hope that this is helpful for you...

Let me know if I may be of further help...

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD