Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What do I do ???

Customer Question

What do I do for Vertigo???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If the vertigo is of short duration, then it is typically due to inflammation or infection of the inner ear and will resolve spontaneously, so the usual approach would be medicines that ease symptoms, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate. These medicines are available over the counter, although marketed for the treatment of motion sickness. If it is more severe or unresponsive to these medicines, then there are stronger medicines that can be used, but would require a visit to a doctor.

If the vertigo is of longer duration, then you can still use the above medicines, but it would also be better to make a more specific diagnosis as there are now several common causes that would be treated differently, so it would be appropriate to see your doctor for further evaluation.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.