Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What does low hemoglobin and high iron coexisting indicate?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

Low hemoglobin is an indicator of anemia ( low hemoglobin and red cells in the blood) The most common cause of ANEMIA is associated with low serum iron but this is not the case with you. So in your case other reasons for the low hemoglobin should be checked for. The degree of the low hemoglobin would matter..if borderline then this may need less of a work up..

It would be helpful here to know if you are male or female, your age and the actual hemoglobin value. Other blood count results would be helpful to know as well...

The low hemoglobin could be due to some blood loss ( frequent or heavy periods in women is common) but the high serum iron would tend to go against blood loss as a cause but it does not entirely rule that out... (there may be time frames involved with your iron intake vs possible blood loss...)

Low bone marrow production may be a cause of low hemoglobin. Low folate or low B12 may be causes. Heriditary aabnormal hemoglobin or a condition of thalessemia may exist... It could be helpful to know the value of your hemoglobin, red cell count, white cell counts, and platelet counts.

More information is needed to get to the exact cause...

I hope that this is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions or information. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback,Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD