DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I've been dealing with a stomach issue for the past 7 years

Customer Question

Hi! I've been dealing with a stomach issue for the past 7 years - upper abdominal pain (feels like you're starving - burning/gnawing pain) that wakes me up 3-4 hours after I've gone to bed and after eating raw vegetables & fruits. I've had a ton of testing done this week and they've ruled out h.pylori, ulcers, cancer or bacteria presence through an endoscopy. They did find a slight case of gastritis and esophogitis. A HIDA scan showed 30% gallbladder function but my symptoms don't match 'gallbladder problems' and my GI doctor isn't convinced that the issue is gallbladder related. I have elevated liver enzymes AST (SGOT) 47. I also showed pancreas inflammation Amylase 129, Lipase 70. (I never drink.) Doctor prescribed carafate for the time being but it's not working consistently. I'm at the end of my rope. Do you have any insight at all? Thank you! :-)
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to add...I've also had a gallbladder ultrasound that did not show stones.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello

You have to worry about a small stone in the ducts leading to the pancreas, or in the pancrease as well.

The test for this is MRCP, or ERCP.

ERCP is done on scope.

MRCP is like an MRI which can reveal the stones.

They will not show up on other testing consistently.

That is assuming your amylase is high. That is not clear as you have not included reference ranges.

However, this is an often missed scenario.

Your symptoms are more consistent with gastritis.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.