Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 52 year old brother has alcohol induced cirrhosis of the

Customer Question

My 52 year old brother has alcohol induced cirrhosis of the liver. 2 years ago he had extreme bleeding varicies and ascites of the abdomen. They were able to get the bleeding stopped and banded his veins. He does not have insurance so he has not been seen since then. He did stop drinking and felt a lot better. I think he has started drinking again. He has a large stomach again and has developed pain and swelling in one arm. The arm is so sore he cannot lower it. I would like to know what this could mean. Thank you so much for any help!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

I fee really sorry for your brother's condition.

Yes indeed, his cirrhosis likely worsened causing ascites and swollen belly.

The soreness and swelling of the arm can be due to the bacterial infection also known as cellulitis.

This is common with cirrhosis --the bacterial infection.

Another possibility can be a blood clot in the upper vein causing the pain and swelling.

THis should not be neglected in either case.

Better to address in the ER with a doppler ultrasound.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/