Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My boyfriend is 62 with high pressure and is on meds. He has

Customer Question
My boyfriend is 62 with...
My boyfriend is 62 with high pressure and is on meds . He has been having severe headaches for the last two months and they are getting worse. His doctor changed his dosage and still.no relief. He had a CT scan 10 days ago and it was normal. What could
be going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/24/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Well for starters high blood pressure can be a cause of headaches if VERY HIGH BUT usually high blood pressure is without symptoms...it is usually a silent problem...what is his blood pressure resting average ?? What is is pulse ranging??

What medications does he take?

There are a number of possible causes of headaches. The quality of his pain and location may be helpful to identify the cause ...

If his BP resting average is 100 to 135/ 60 to 85 then that is good control ...

If he has very high BP such as 185/115 then headaches may be a result ..

Does he have throbbing quality?? He may have migraine type headaches.

Are the steady ache of back of head to forehead ?? Tension headaches are most common ...

Does he have temple pain and tenderness on one side? This could be temporal arteritis as a cause ...

Does he have issues with snoring or daytime drowsiness? He may have obstructive sleep apnea as a cause ...

Does he have sinus area pain? ( upper cheeks or forehead or behind eyes ?) That could fit with a sinus problem( chronic sinus infection or mucous retention cyst are possible sources )

Pain at the neck shooting to back of a call or too of head could fit with neck problems. . .

So there are many possible causes and the above is not a complete list ...other possibilities also exist

He should consult a neurologist whom had particular interest in headaches as a good way to proceed forward ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Resting is 160/100. He does snore quite a bit. Back of his head at neck is what hurts. He takes hydralazine 10mg twice a day. Amlod/benazepril 40 mg once a day Metoprolol 50 mg. no sinus pain. No throbbing. If he stands it hurts worse

Hello again!

OK that is helpful. He should collect a series of out of doctors office blood pressure readings for one. These should be after 10 minutes test SEATED .. the average of his blood pressures should be better controlled it sounds 135/85 or less on average .

He should have his neck examined >> orthopedic specialist I would advise >> if neck is source then a combination of a muscle relaxant and pain reliever ( Ultram ) may help...an anti-inflammatory medicine might help neck BUT he needs to be careful as anti-inflammatory medicines may also have potential to elevate BP.

For blood pressure and reviewing what he takes I am puzzled that he is not on a diuretic such as HCTZ ( perhaps rather than Hydralazine..)

He should have a sleep study I strongly think. If he has obstructive sleep apnea then much fits >> snoring ...headaches and this also contributes to high blood pressure ...of he has obstructive sleep apnea it may may help him in multiple ways to get that treated !!

I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Hello again!

He should have a sleep study I strongly think. If he has obstructive sleep apnea then much fits >> snoring ...headaches and this also contributes to high blood pressure ...if he has obstructive sleep apnea it may may help him in multiple ways to get that treated !!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor