Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr., Please read this and tell me what is wrong with it: 23

Customer Question
Dr. David, Please read this...
Dr. David, Please read this and tell me what is wrong with it: 23 August 2015 04:54 Dr. C. Dr. C. Doctor Yes, it's possible to have an estrogen receptor change as well. For the same reasons that the HER status can change. Here is a link to a study showing
that possibility: http://jco.ascopubs.org/conten… Unfortunately, everything that is true regarding HER change from + to - is also true for estrogen receptor change from + to -. Although slow growing and indolent and easy to treat by blocking estrogen, they
can change to negative regardless of slow growth. There are similarly no large enough studies to get a sense of whether this is more likely to go from + to - versus - to +. Both are possible. So unfortunately, you're not out of the worry zone about this. But
remember what I said above.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Maybe it's that this study didn't consider people with really really high estrogen positivity like mine, which is unusual?
8/24/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David
how does this information help you
you don't have evidence of progression of your breast cancer currently
you haven't had CT scans or PET scans showing evidence of your cancer coming back or spreading
how is worrying about your breast cancer ER+ turning to ER negative helpful to you?
what are you going to do different?
nothing
you will continue to take your AI therapy.
and you have to see your doctors in September.
But, do you think this doesn't apply to me because I have the highest er positivity possible--we just said that mine would be unlikely to mutate?
Or are you taking that back?
these articles don't apply to you because you don't have evidence of a recurrence or progression of your breast cancer.
But what about what I just said--that I have such high er positivity that mine wouldn't mutate. You just told me that slow, indolent cancers are "able to divide without mistakes". Maybe the er positive cancers in that study mainly stained 1 and 2.
Those studies were looking at people like me and predicting the likelihood of progression. So theoretically they could apply to me.
Except maybe not because of my high positivity.
help!
I don't have the full study to review.
that second study looked at 459 patients and only found 119 who had multiple relapses and studied the hormone status in those 119 patients
chances are you are going to be in the 340 patients who don't get relapses and don't have ER changes.
but how many ER positive had just one relapse? a lot.
All I know is I thought I was "special" because my ER status was so high and was so UNLIKELY to mutate. Now I read this. I need to understand why I don't fit with these women.
I didn't mean to even ask this doctor a question--I only did it because you hadn't answered me yet.
the studies don't show this
chances for relapse for you over 5 years is small, less than 20% we have talked about your relapse rate
The studies don't show what?
They seem to show that ER+ can change to ER-. I need to understand if it is likely that I won't be one of those BECAUSE MY ER STATUS IS PARTICULARLY HIGH AND INDOLENT????
the studies don't show how many ER positive woman have one relapse.
that is unlikely for you
I have given you the number of patients studied in the studies.
but statistics and reason and logic is not reaching your anxiety mind right now.
can you just say back to me what you said earlier, about how people with high er status have indolent cell divisions and how slow cell divisions lead to divisions without mistakes. I just need to hear it again to fix this I think
please?
Dr. David, where did you go?
people with high ER positive breast cancer have indolent cell divisions and slow divisions lead to divisions without mistakes
you really really believe and know that?
despite this study?
that is what you know and what calms down your anxiety
I tried to explain to you the study
but it doesn't sound like you are interested in these studies.
but I just want to make sure you believe it--do you?
it doesn't matter what I believe
what matters is getting your anxiety levels down so you can get to your next doctors meeting
you need to stop worrying about your breast cancer cells
there is nothing you can do about it except continue to take your AI therapy.
wait so now it turns out you don't believe that slow divisions lead to divisions without mistakes??????
you told me earlier that you did believe it and knew it to be true
I hope you're not writing things you don't think are true???
Dr. David?
please answer me
I have told you we don't have research to show if ER 3+ breast cancer cells divide faster or slower than other cells or mutate at faster or slower rates than other cells.
you lied to me earlier
Please fix this, I don't know what to believe. I was so happy when you told me that "if they divide slowly they are able to divide without mistakes". Now you have me all confused and worried.
you need to stop worrying about your breast cancer cells and their mutation rates
you need to know that lobular cancer has better prognosis than ductal
we did the md anderson nomogram and you have an 80% chance of disease free survival in 5 years.
you are taking AI therapy
you have done all the things you need to be cured of your breast cancer
you never developed necrosis or any more cellulitis.
now you haven't answered my question--I want to know if you think high estrogen positivity leads to indolence which leads to lack of mistakes which divisions occur
please hurry
I told you already, we don't have enough research to be able to say this.
I can't even pay you for this. You lied to me earlier. How could you do that?
You've left me feeling confused and terrible.
first you tell me that slow division leads to accurate replication and then you take that away.
what do you really believe?
I am just telling you the thruth about breast cancer knowledge.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician