Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

We are desperate to get pifenidone 850 mg. My daughter has

Customer Question

We are desperate to get pifenidone 850 mg.
My daughter has IPPFE. Have tried everything but to no avail. I have been told that she will not make it to Christmas. Doctors here are not allowed to prescribe this drug however they all "agree" that it would be very helpful to her. Please can you help???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
pifenidone was approved in europe in 2011 as Esbriet
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/esbriet-pirfenidone-receives-positive-final-appraisal-determination-from-nice-for-idiopathic-pulmonary-fibrosis-ipf-199269311.html
it has been approved by the UK and NHS
"The FAD further recommends the prescription of Esbriet for as long as InterMune makes the Patient Access Scheme (PAS) available. The PAS is a confidential pricing and access agreement with the UK's Department of Health. The NHS list price for Esbriet is £26,100 per full year of treatment. At current rates of exchange this is equivalent to roughly €30,140 and $39,350 per patient per year.
The FAD forms the basis of the final guidance to the NHS in England and Wales and is expected to be published in April of 2013. Once the final guidance is published, the NHS must fully implement it within 90 days. The company expects to begin its launch of Esbriet in England and Wales by the end of June, when its field-based personnel will be hired and trained and the FAD is largely implemented. "
you should ask to see a pulmonologist and ask for the medication again.