Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

Ok here I am again, worry wort. ok I lost my mom three

Customer Question

ok here I am again, worry wort. ok I lost my mom three months ago, been really hard. yes ive had a knot in my stomach have had a loss of appetitie but I still eat. ive lost 11 pounds in three months, which my mind worries something is wrong, even though
common sense would say, that's because of losing your mom. no I worry its unintentional weight loss, so for five days ive been making myself eat fattening food, and I usually would gain but haven't. so now im worried something is wrong with me, also im not
active due to a partial spinal cord injury of three years even though I can walk with assistance. in the last year ive had cbc, thyroid, kidney bladder scans fecal occult test all are normal. im 57 and now that im getting better with my walking now because
of the weight loss and not gaining after eating more in five days fattening foods im scared something is wrong with me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, was ESR or C reactive protein levels were checked during your blood test ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by that, but now your worrying me, are you saying its not grief and that its a possibility that something is wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello

Thank you for your reply, as most of your blood tests are normal so you seem to be ok and it is possible that grief is the main cause of your weight loss, but 11 pounds weight loss needs to be checked for other causes, it can be simple inflammation or some infection which may have caused this, so these tests are important to see if there is such issue which needs to be checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh my god, your the first dr. on here that's scareing me. I don't want it to be anything serious dr

why are you scared, I said this can be simple inflammation which has caused this, so no need to be scared.

We need to consider all option before giving an opinion so that what I want you to do. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think it can be cancer or anything life threating

I am sure all the tests done are enough to rule out most of the cancers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what tests...the ones I already had, your still scaring me im thinking you think somethings wrong

Let me explain you in simple words, if you loose to much weight like more than 5% of the bosy weight, then there are certain things that need to be ruled out, first thing is to check for blood C and ESR plus CRp this will give you a rough idea of there is something serious like hidden cancer or inflammation, if you have not done these tests then I think your doctor has not done his job properly, you should understand that it is better to be scared and saved then to miss a diagnosis and later repent on it. I am sorry if this scares you but this is the true fact and this is the way your doctor should have approached your case.

Thank you.

Let me explain you in simple words, if you loose too much weight like more than 5% of the body weight, then there are certain things that need to be ruled out, first thing is to check for blood C and ESR plus CRp this will give you a rough idea of there is something serious like hidden cancer or inflammation, if you have not done these tests then I think your doctor has not done his job properly, you should understand that it is better to be scared and saved then to miss a diagnosis and later repent on it. I am sorry if this scares you but this is the true fact and this is the way your doctor should have approached your case.

Thank you.