Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 20 year old male. I have had stomach pain for 10

Customer Question

Hello doctor. I am a 20 year old male. I have had stomach pain for 10 months now. The first month i was constipated and after that just endless stomach pain. It happens mostly at night. I havent vomitted anytime in the 10 months or had nausea. My stool changed sometimes from hard to soft to liquid. Recently my liquid stool would smell like fish. I havent seen blood in my stool. And when i am rested i would feel my heartbeat in my stomach. i would also hear strange noises around abdominal area. it sounds like liquid. I havent been to a doctor yet. Can you help? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
What is the nature of your typical diet?
Which dietary pills have you been taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well. At the moment im on no diet.
The dietary pill i took were Oxy-Powder Oxgen Based Intestinal Cleanser, Livatrex Liver Cleanse and Paratrex Harmful Organism Cleansing. I only took these for 3 days and stopped.
I do not mean a diet from the perspective of a special diet. I mean it from the perspective of what you eat on a regular basis.
What did you eat for supper last night and the night before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Before i had this stomach pain my regular basis was tuna fish. Then i stopped that. Now my regualr basis is turkey patties. For supper last night i had Rice and beans and the night before i had a cheeseburger.
Im hoping it aint iodine poisoning.
Actually, the primary reason that I was asking about the diet was to get a sense of fiber intake.
The most common reason for chronic abdominal pain associated with constipation or diarrhea in a young adult is from irritable bowel syndrome, which is due to altered muscular activity of the gut.
While this is very common, there is no test that can prove that this is the cause of symptoms. The usual approach is to perform an evaluation to exclude other possible causes, which would then indicate the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. There are several other conditions that would need to be excluded, such as inflammation of the gut, liver or gallbladder disease, or pancreatic dysfunction.
However, another approach would be to try dietary adjustments. The usual first line intervention for irritable bowel syndrome is to increase the intake of fiber, ideally to 25-35 grams per day. So, it would also be reasonable to try to increase fiber intake to see if the symptoms resolve. Fiber intake can be via foods or fiber supplements. The foods that have higher fiber content include fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. If the diet does not contain sufficient fiber, then adding a supplement would be appropriate.
So, it would be appropriate to first try to increase the fiber intake. If this eases the pain and bowel movements, then no further evaluation is necessary.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.