Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just had diarrhea for 5 days, and have stayed hydrated,

Customer Question

I just had diarrhea for 5 days, and have stayed hydrated, but now my arms, legs, hands, feet and abdomen are swollen. My urine is clear and frequent, and I'm able to sweat. Should I be worried or is this normal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
A small amount of diffuse swelling is common with many infections that can cause diarrhea, including viral or bacterial infections, and this would not be worrisome. More severe swelling also can occur, and would be more worrisome.
Infections can affect fluid metabolism throughout the body, and this is usually not a significant issue, as long as blood volume is maintained and there is no lightheadedness.
As long as you are continuing good urine output and are not having any lightheadedness, that is usually an indication that there is not a worrisome amount of alternation in fluid metabolism.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.