Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've had a burning sensation in the center of my left chest

Customer Question
now for a several months...
I've had a burning sensation in the center of my left chest now for a several months. It comes and goes. In April, fearing the worst, I checked myself into the ER and was told it wasn't heart related but possibly an inflammation of some sort. It still hasn't cleared up however. Sometimes it feels like a pulled muscle and sometimes it's a burning, shooting pain. In 2007, I went to the hospital for what seemed like a minor heart attack. I was later told it was pleurisy. The doctor in April also confirmed that's probably what it was. Not sure if it's at all related, but I also have a left shoulder injury for which I just finished a prednisone prescription. I feel like my breathing is somewhat restricted sometime but I otherwise feel great, no fatigue, able to still exercise, run, etc.
I'm male, 34, in good shape/health (otherwise), normal blood pressure.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/18/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
that is good you are in good shape
if you are having anxiety symptoms or worry symptoms or panic attack or have had these in the past, these can cause burning sensations in the chest and chest pain and chest pressure and shortness of breath sensations which feel very real
or you could be having bad acid reflux which can cause chest pain and burning pain which can come and go
asthma in some patients can come and go and cause periodic periods of restricted breathing sometimes
a pulmonary function test can check for asthma and a asthma inhaler could help with asthma symptoms.
do you have symptoms of anxiety or worry?
do you have a history of acid reflux?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician