How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29244
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a recent vasectomy. Preped and shaved the area per the

Customer Question

I had a recent vasectomy. Preped and shaved the area per the paperwork provided. I masturbated 3 times in 1 day using saliva as lubricant. I had some raw and tender areas under the head and down the underside of my penis. I have had these before in my teenage years. I get fever blisters (HSV1) but it has been more than 6 months since my last outbreak. The redness and tenderness have since resolved save for this 1 area. It was not tingling, sensitive, or had vesicles or bumps prior to presentation. The vasectomy was on day 3 and it is now day 7 and this is still present. I have been in a monogamous heterosexual relationship with my wife and only sexual partner.
What do you think this might be? What if any is the differential diagnosis? And what follow up tests or procedures should I be concerned with or contemplating.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Raw tender area is likely due to the irritation from masturbation.

Herpes infection is unlikely since there is no blister formation or multiple lesions, or no pain either.

However, this can be a bacterial infection from skin irritation.

Non healing lesion can be a sign of syphilis as well --but usually with hard based ulcer.

Not a common disease.

Another possibility can be a precancerous lesion like Zoon's balanitis.

That is again not common.

The next step will be a consultation with a dermatologist.

If he thinks it necessary, he will do a skin biopsy and send out other tests as relevant.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for not include by this with the original submission but attached are pictures for reference
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the pictures.

This likely a skin bacterial infection.

Topical antibiotic ointment like mupirocin daily should help with the healing process.

Please also get checked for syphilis as a very unlikely possibility.

Best wishes