Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have a red, burning face, sometimes chest. It happens more

Customer Question

I have a red, burning face, sometimes chest. It happens more often after washing my face or taking a shower, as well as drinking red wine. No sweating. My hands & feet are cold. This has occurred for years & lately is more frequent. I am post menopausal & this is definitely not a hot flash. I may be dehydrated. It is very & I drink a lot of iced tea. What can this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query. A red burning face starting from the chest and neck occurs due to lack of regulation of the a chemical in the hypothalamus which simulates a sensation of increased temperatures in the body. This causes vasodilation of the skin in the chest ,neck and facial area leading to a burning sensation and redness. This usually occurs in post menopausal women due to a lack of estrogen and may last from 20-30 seconds to 5-10 minutes or longer. It can be treated with estrogen,in women who cannot take estrogen Progesterone is usually effective . Other symptoms which may accompany this redness would include anxiety,dizziness,palpitations,fatigue and diaorrhea.You need to discuss this with your PCP/Physician who will probably investigate you to rule out Carcinoid Syndrome,Thyroid disease and hypertension.Carcinoid syndrome is a rare small tumour found in the lungs and GIT.Consumption of alcohol may cause similar symptoms,use of certain anti-hypertensive drugs like Clonidine,methyl Dopa,and lofexidine also reduce the symptoms in a manner similar to progesterone.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't happy with the response, as I stated this was not a hot flash. They last a short time. This flushing lasts hours or a day or more. The rest is helpful info. I clearly need to be checked for carcinoid syndrome.
I am aware that you felt it was not a hot flush,but that remains the most common cause in postmenopausal women of such symptoms.It would certainly be prudent to get investigated by your PCP/Physician to rule out other serious causes of this problem like carcinoid Syndrome and thyroid disorders.PLease do leave as positive rating,thank you.