How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 7432
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My FIL has a swollen earlobe from a tick that has been on it

Customer Question

My FIL has a swollen earlobe from a tick that has been on it for a couple of days. He is 93 and active outside mowing on riding lawn mowers. I have removed the tick and saved it. I betadined the area and washed with hydrogen peroxide. Put antibiotic oitment on the area. Is there anything else I should do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 years ago.

Hi i'm sorry to hear about your father in laws problem.

What you did so far is perfectly alright however the problem lies in the fact that most diseases which are transmitted via tick bites can start several days to weeks later. You need to watch out for the following symptoms in your father in law such as, fever, weakness in limbs, any rash, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, numbness, confusion, headache or paralysis among others.

In such a scenario you need to immediately take him to your nearest hospital. Also since he has a swollen ear lobe it is possible that a portion of the tick might be left inside. In such a case its best to take him your local doctor who can thoroughly examine the site and remove any part of the tick left inside. Apart from what you have already done for him at home and watching out for the symptoms i have listed above there isn't much else you can do right now.

Do get an examination from the doctor for the swollen ear lobe to see if its infected or any portion of the tick is left inside.

I hope this answers your question

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.