Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had foamy urine since the very first time I urinated

Customer Question
after an unsuccessful kidney stone...
I have had foamy urine since the very first time I urinated after an unsuccessful kidney stone removal surgery under general anesthesia (was told there was urethral spasm). This was on July 13th. I had 2nd similar surgery under general anesthesia on July 21 which was successful and stone was broken with laser and larger pieces removed. Urine still foamy and now my feet are swollen every evening! I raise them on 3 pillows every night and they get better by morning. Any solution? What do you recommend I do to fix this problem because it is very irritating. What are the chances of complete cure? What are the steps that must be taken so I can make sure the kidney specialist takes them? Thank you very much!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/15/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
You need an assessment of your renal function and probably a 24 hour urine collection to do this.
The swelling can be from
Kidney problems.
Thyroid problems.
Bad veins in the legs
Heart problems.
Treatment depends on what the diagnosis is, which depends on exam and testing, not on what we can guess for you here. But I have given you a basic differential diagnosis...which your doctors need to sort out.
A check for thyroid is a blood test.
A Check for bad veins is lower extremity doppler testing. A type of ultraound.
A test for kidney I have mentioned. Heart is exam and EKG.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Thanks for response. Having extremely foamy urine since exactly after kidney stone removal surgery must indicate cause as most likely from kidney damage during surgery? I have never had such urine prior to that, ever. Would you please shed your thoughts on that? If you agree, then what kind of damage can that possibly be, and can it be possibly be completely reversible or not?
Also, regarding my 1st surgery, I was told immediately prior to surgery that there was 10% chance of urethral spasm. Is this even close to accurate? I couldn't find any instances of that on Internet during a stone removal surgery. Please research this for me and advise. Thank you.
foamy urine might or might not indicate anything.
If it does, it would indicate protein which can indicate kidney problems.
Urethral spasm is an acute side effect, not a long term problem.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician