Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A friend of mine has bp of 153/86. Doc said that's not a

Customer Question

A friend of mine has bp of 153/86. Doc said that's not a concern . Am doubtful
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How old is this friend?
Does the friend have any other chronic medical problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is 42. No other chronic medical condition. Weighs close to 100kg. Height at 1.8m.
The current guidelines for blood pressure management in the US recommends that the blood pressure at which treatment should be considered in a 42 year old man would be a blood pressure above 140/90. If either value is above the threshold, then treatment is recommended.
It is worth noting that a single measurement does not warrant treatment, but if the blood pressure is consistently at 153/86, treatment would be recommended.
Initial treatment can be with lifestyle interventions, rather than medicines, but if the blood pressure remains above 140/90, then medicines would be recommended.
A blood pressure of 153/86 is not acutely dangerous, but the recommendation is that it should be better controlled over the long term.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We would not know if the blood pressure is going to go any higher from now till lifestyle intervention is being initiated. After all, it is realistic to say that lifestyle intervention also takes some time to reap its benefits?I am concerned about the time frame, as of now till any lifestyle intervention can prove its benefits.Is my logic reasonable ?
All of the studies show that it is fine to try lifestyle interventions for several months to see if it is effective at controlling blood pressure. The risk of blood pressure at this range will take years to accrue, so trying lifestyle management for a few months will not be an issue if it is ineffective.