Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Stomach pain, hard to eat, sleeping a lot, had it a day and

Customer Question

stomach pain, hard to eat, sleeping a lot, had it for about a day and a half so far. Starting to feel a bit better but have no appetiite. Pain isn't severe but its noticable. Have some nausea with it to. Called in sick to work today, wondering if i should
tomorrow as well as a precaution and possibly see a doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your problem. I would like to ask a few questions so i can help you in a better way. Can you tell me what sort of pain is it? burning, stabbing etc? Where is it exactly located, under your ribs near your belly button? Also do you have any previous medical issues such as diabetes etc? are you on any medication? And do you have any fever, diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under my ribs, i am on citalopram, i don't have diabetes, just had a blood test and was fine. its better now but it was a sharp stabbing pain before and i couldn't really eat anything. I also had sweats and slept pretty much all day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have a fever or diarrhea

Can i ask whats your age and was it on the right side or on the left side under your ribs? and any pain in the arm or shortness of breath? im asking because you were sweating at the time....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a bit of shortness of breath sometimes but not all the time. i am 31 right side of my ribs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i try to do anything strenuous
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a shortness of breath

Ok thanks for the additional information and your patience.

So i was asking about the shortness of breath because of two reasons if the pain was on the left side even under the ribs i would be more concerned about heart issues however it is less likely due to the location of the pain. right now this could be due to a few things, one of which can be a disease of the lungs, sometimes a pleural disease ( the covering surrounding the lung) can lead to such issues, a characteristic feature of that would be if you have sharp stabbing pain on taking a deep breath in. ANother possiblity which comes to mind is gallbladder pain, which would occur directly under the rib cage on the right side and would be associated with nausea. Lastly i can think of simple musculoskeletal pain which can cause this problem.

All of these things require you to schedule an appointment with your doctor and get a comprehensive clinical exam, i wouldnt advise this if you didnt have shortness of breath and the sweating episode. I would also want an EKG done when you see your doctor just to be on the safe side even though its unlikely to be the heart.

I hope i havebeen helpful, please feel free to ask followup questions. If i was helpful, please click accept and leave a positive rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it might be just a virus? i know that one of my coworkers was sick too... but he had more of a runny nose and a sore stomach. i figure though that if it was a virus i would be throwing up... i just experienced more nausea and pain in the stomach and a sense of being full all of the time.

It could be a virus but usually a viral infection / food poisoining of any sort would result in vomiting as you correctly surmised. the pain subsided which is a good thing but i was more concerned with the shortness of breath and sweating. Again this can still be food poisoining or the stomach flu but i would still err on the side of caution and recommend a visit to your local doctor for the reasons i elaborated above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i not go to work tomorrow and get a check up?

Yes that is my recommendation, do get yourself checked out. Its better to be safe than sorry.