Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have had belly pain just above navel and below sternum

Customer Question

I have had belly pain just above navel and below sternum with diarrhea lately. These symptoms have persisted for 2 weeks though area is not tender to touch and seems to do better after eating. Also, the pain is not constant but seems to be steady in the morning but not awful all day or intense but bothersome.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking Zoloft for anxiety since 3/28/15.. and the stools are not black or tarry..
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello-

The 2 weeks diarrhea sounds veryimely to be due to a gastroenteritis. This may be a cmviral infection as common cause. Often the stomach and lower GI tract may have irritation at the same time frame.

I would try Pepto Bismol -- one dose after each loose stool for 5 days---- this usually helps diarrhea and helps as a general anti-micobial

The stomach may be a bit irritated and may benefit to reduce the stomach acid with over the counter Nexium or Prilosec daily for a couple of weeks

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD