Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Tested for lupus @ it came back slightly positive, do u know

Customer Question
what that means?...
Tested for lupus @ it came back slightly positive, do u know what that means?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/8/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
sometimes other autoimmune disorders or inflammation in the body can cause ANA or antinuclear antibody testing to come back slightly elevated.
some some patients, they can take 1-2 years to have their autoimmune disorder or lupus diagnosed.
you should see a rheumatologist and get more extensive auto antibody testing such as
antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) tests,
antibodies to histone tests,
antibodies to phospholipids,
antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B,
antibodies to Sm target Sm proteins in the cell nucleus,
antibodies to RNP target ribonucleoproteins
to see if you might have lupus or any other autoimmune disorder.
have you consulted with a rheumatologist yet?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician