Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Sometimes I get a sharp pain in my sides (feels like it's

Customer Question
just below the ribs) really...
Sometimes I get a sharp pain in my sides (feels like it's just below the ribs) really irritating. Goes away after a few minutes, happens every once in a while.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
8/7/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
you can sometimes pinch your nerves between your ribs if you move a certain way
is this below your left ribs or right ribs? or can it happen on both sides?
Started out on left side then gradually moved over to the right side. I can be walking and all of a sudden, it'll hit me and I immediately grab my side for a few seconds. Its also irritating and discomforting during the day but doesn't really hurt.
just enough for my body to say Hello, something's wrong.
I read from your last question that you "work for Dr Pepper Snapple/7UP" and that you "do a lot of repetitive lifting of 2 liter cases & 12 packs to the shelf, & pulling pallets with a pallet jack"
you could have a pinched nerve in your back from muscle strain which can cause sharp rib pain in your ribs.
you should see a doctor about this and see if you need an MRI scan of your spine to look for pinched nerves exiting your spinal cord going into your ribs.
do you have a doctor you can see who can order you this MRI scan of your spine?
What if this started before I worked for Dr peppee
then working for Dr. Pepper could have definitely worsened it.
you should still see a doctor and get a neurological exam and see if you need an MRI scan of your spine
you might benefit from physical therapy or loosing weight to help decrease strain on your back.
you might benefit from more support of your upper and lower back when you drive or lift
I hope you are wearing a lifting weight belt around your waist when you are bending and lifting heavy things.
Discomfort, Irritating, & sometimes a sharp pain In both sides could be due to a pinched nerve?
these sound like symptoms of a pinched nerve called radiculopathy
radiating pain is also a symptom of radiculopathy when pain travels from one area to another along the path of a nerve.
that is why you should see your doctor and get a nerve exam
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Few more questions...when I would get back to my car and drive, I would sit back in my car, I would have a pain shoot down my back for a few seconds then go away. Could that also be linked to a sharp pain in both my sides sometimes
all of that could be linked to a pinched nerve in your spine.
What type of doctor should I go see

You should see a primary care doctor first

my Primary Care Physician

You should see a primary care physician

let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

OK thanks Dr. Have a great day

You are welcome

Don't forget to leave positive feedback

Thanks for using justanswer

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician